Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Life with Two because One is the Loneliest Number

"One is the loneliest number that you'll ever find" or so goes the tune.  Life has changed a lot since May 13, 2014.  Luke has already brought immense joy to our lives, including big brother Landon's.  Landon is already eager to show his brother new stuff all the time.  Plus, Landon isn't the lonely one always clamoring for Mommy or Daddy's attention anymore.  Sure there are moments of jealousy, like "Daddy stop holding baby", but things are going well in the newly expanded Walenga household.  Luke has been a much easier baby for obvious reasons, but for also less obvious reasons.  He already goes eight hours at night.  

With that said, I wanted to take this time to try and put into words the deepest satisfaction I have for being a parent. I've been feeling these emotions more and more ever since Luke came.  There is nothing in our lives  more significant (besides our faith) than our relationships with our children.  

I definitely have more "helicopter parent" tendencies than I would have imagined I'd possess before kids.  I think it stems from a few things related to Landon's heart journey, but I want to control so much of what he does because "I know what's best".  

Let's face the facts.  I can't be there for every scraped knee (I hope he gets a few playing hard), nor can I be there when he faces a difficult situation at school or on the playground (amazingly those have already begun which I didn't anticipate).  What I can do is help him build his self-esteem and self-confidence.  This will enable him to fend off negativity in a world full of it.  "In this life we will have trouble, but take heart for I have overcome it."  I noticed the other day, maybe more so than any other time, that when I lavish praise on Landon and push him with repeated encouragement and praise he responds like a champion.  Just like my dad did with me.  Thanks dad if you're reading this.      

This is what God tries to do with us in our lives.  How will we respond if we're not listening on a daily basis?  I'd say it's pretty hard to respond to anything without hearing it.  Am I engaging with God enough so that I can lavish his grace and peace upon my children and my wife?  The answer unfortunately is a resounding no.  
Am I trying harder than I have in a long time?  Yes.  Because this is the area of my life I refuse to fail in.  You can have my job and all my possessions, but you can't take my faith and connection to my family.    



No comments:

Post a Comment


December 2012